It was one of those "don't try this at home, folks" moments.
Deep-frying a turkey has become quite the rage, but accidents with this cooking method can create a raging fire, visitors to the Perrysburg Township fire department learned today.
In advance of National Fire Prevention Week, Perrysburg Township Fire Department hosted a Fire Safety Day today, and during the event, firefighters demonstrated what can happen when a turkey that is still frozen is dropped into the hot oil. The word "dangerous" comes to mind.
In addition to learning just how wrong cooking a turkey can go, visitors to the Perrysburg Township Fire Department's open house had the chance to see how quickly fire can spread through a home.
The department at 26711 Lime City Rd. offered family-friendly activities during the Fire Safety Day, and township officials were on hand to greet visitors and answer questions.
A side-by-side burn was planned to show the "vital importance" of fire safety technology such as alarms and sprinkler systems.
Now, back to the bird...firefighters demonstrated what happens when a frozen turkey is put into a hot-oil cooker. This can cause the water content in the bird to quickly vaporize, expanding the volume inside the cooking vessel and overflowing the oil onto the heating element. Explosions, rapidly spreading flames, and serious injuries have been reported when improperly thawed turkeys are fried in this method.
The open house was being held in conjunction with National Fire Safety Week, which is Oct. 7-13.
Keith Feeney, township fire inspector, said more than 80 percent of all fire deaths occur in the home.
"The Perrysburg Township Fire Department is using this important event to help people of every age understand how dangerous a home fire is and the importance of prevention, detection, suppression, and escape," he said.