What happens over the summer at Perrysburg Schools?
Do you ever wonder what happens in our schools during the summer? Many people assume the district shuts down operations during the summer months, but in fact many important activities take place over the summer to make sure the schools are ready for students and teachers in the fall.
Athletics, summer school and use of facilities by outside groups — Summer physical education class at the high school; practice and conditioning for volleyball, wrestling, lacrosse, cross country, baseball and basketball; band camp and facilities rentals by outside groups such as Perrysburg Youth Summer Theatre keep the buildings bustling all summer.
Deep Cleaning — To minimize the disruption during the school year, major projects like stripping and resurfacing the gym floors are scheduled during the summer months.
Food Service — Planning menus and getting nutritional information on all foods pursuant to new federal mandates, purchasing food, hiring and training staff, submitting state reports.
Human Resources — After retirement notices and the like at the end of the school year, summer is when the district does a lot of its interviewing and hiring.
Staff levels remain roughly the same as last year, but due to attrition, we are in the process of filling 35 positions, including adding and consolidating data between the HR and Treasures’ offices. Other HR summer projects include updating and revising required employee training and staff development.
Permanent improvement projects — Summer is an ideal time to make repairs and perform regular maintenance on our facilities. This summer the following projects are in the works that were paid for by a permanent improvement levy voters approved in 2010:
- High School parking lot sealcoating and crack repair
- Frank Elementary circle drive sealcoating and crack repair
- Frank Elementary tuckpointing
- Woodland Elementary new boiler
- Toth Elementary HVAC (AC) Phase I
- Jr. High auxiliary gym floor and light replacement
- High School baseball & softball fields – Phase II
Registration — All summer long, the Board’s Central Office is open to register new students and to work with families who have questions or concerns.
Strategic Planning — Summer is when the administrative team looks over the previous year to measure progress on our strategic plan, using administrator evaluations, student achievement data and this year’s inaugural annual stakeholder survey. The central office staff prepares the strategic plan update and recommendations to present to the Board of Education in August to help shape goals for this coming school year.
Student Data Reporting
- Reporting EMIS data to the Ohio Department of Education — the June EMIS reporting period began on 5/1/12 closed on 7/24/12 and the Graduate reporting period began 5/21/12 and closes on 11/16/12. The June EMIS report includes student's OAA, OGT and OTELA test scores as well as student's gifted, attendance, and discipline records. The Graduate reporting period includes all students who graduate during the school year as well as the students who graduate over the summer.
- Creating DASL/ProgressBook accounts and passwords for all of our new teachers so they can be trained before the start of the school year.
- Prepare and distribute our student's Emergency Medical Authorization forms to all of our buildings.
- Clean and prepare buses for annual Ohio State Hwy Patrol inspection
- Maintain all district vehicles including school vans, mowers, snow equipment and trucks
- Review every bus route and make appropriate changes
- Prepare two transportation reports, T1S: non-routine mileage report and the T2: transportation financial report
- Prepare annual driver physicals, review driver records and plan annual safety training
- Train new bus drivers
- Attend seminars through the Ohio Department of Education regarding changes to laws and procedures
- Many activities involving the end of the fiscal year, June 30, including closing prior year’s accounts and preparing reports for annual audit
- Faculty and staff salary notices and payroll for summer staff
- Preparing building and department budgets
- Ordering supplies and materials for the coming school year