Area “green” enthusiasts are invited to participate in Green Energy Ohio’s 10th annual Green Energy Ohio Tour, Thursday through Sunday.
The tours are in hundreds of locations throughout Ohio, including in northwest Ohio, and will showcase solar, wind, biomass and energy efficiency working for homes, businesses, farms, public buildings and utilities.
Presented by non-profit Green Energy Ohio, the northwest Ohio open-house tours will take place at 11 sites in Perrysburg, Maumee, Oregon, Rossford, Van Wert, Tiffin, Upper Sandusky, Archbold, Pettisville, and Lima. The houses will show photovoltaic, wind, solar thermal and passive solar uses, among other alternative energy technology. Site owners and Green Energy Ohio members will conduct event, with some guided tours at the houses.
The tours will occur at different times, but all are free and open to the public.
Here is the schedule for the northwest Ohio sites:
- Owens Community College Toledo-area campus, 30335 Oregon Rd., Perrysburg, (photovoltaic, solar thermal and wind energy uses) on Saturday from 1-4 p.m.
- Farley Residence, 10494 Mandell Rd., Perrysburg, (photovoltaic) on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and on Sunday from 1-4 p.m.
- Cooper Farms, 13274 Convoy Rd., Van Wert, (wind) on Thursday, from 2-4 p.m.
- Toledo Electrical Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee, 803 Lime City Rd., Rossford, (wind) on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Haney Residence, 2112 River Rd., Maumee. (photovoltaic, solar thermal and passive solar) on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Little Portion Green, 194 St. Francis Ave., Tiffin, (photovoltaic, wind and passive solar) on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and on Sunday from 1-4 p.m.
- Wyandot Solar Farm, 10692 County Highway 44, Upper Sandusky, (photovoltaic) on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Archbold Area Schools, 600 Lafayette St., Archbold, (wind) on Saturday from 1-2 p.m.
- Pettisville Local Schools, 232 Summit St., Pettisville, (wind) on Saturday from 2-3 p.m.
- Gerad Residence, 77 Hawthorne Dr., Lima, (photovoltaic) on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and on Sunday from 1-4 p.m.
- Mcintosh Residence, 551 Foxridge Lane, Oregon, (photovoltaic) on Sunday from 1-4 p.m.
Also, a guided tour of several green energy-specific locations will take place within the Toledo area from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday. Those tours will begin and end on Owens’ Toledo-area campus. Green Energy Ohio Tour participants should park in Lot H and meet at 8:45 a.m. at the college’s wind turbines, which are adjacent to the Industrial and Engineering Technologies Building. The campus is on Oregon Road in Perrysburg Township.
The Green Energy Ohio Tour is being presented by Green Energy Ohio, Ohio Development Services Agency and Zane State College.
Green Energy Ohio is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting environmentally and economically sustainable energy policies and practices in Ohio. The organization is the Ohio Chapter of the American Solar Energy Society and also sponsors conferences, workshops, workforce training and assesses potential for wind turbines sites across the state.
The northwest Ohio tours are being coordinated by Owens Community College. For additional information about the Green Energy Ohio Tour, call 614-985-6131, or 1-800-GO-OWENS, Ext. 7163 or 567-661-7163.
To find details about the specific sites, go to Green Energy’s Web site at www.greenenergyohio.org.